Account Updater token
Account Updater is a service offered by the card schemes that allows you to update the details of tokenized cards. Account Updater should be used for Stored Credentials (e.g. recurring, subscription-based billing model). This will ensure that the tokenized credit card details are up to date at all time. For example, when a customer’s card expires you would receive a rejection due to the wrong expiry date and need to contact the customer to request the new expiry date to be able to continue billing. With the Account Updater, such disruptions to the billing cycle will be prevented; card details can be updated without having to contact the customer.
The account updater service provides updates on the following cases:
- Expired Card
- Change in Card Number/PAN
- Cancelled, Lost or Stolen Card
- Cancelled authorization
We can enable Account Updater service for Credit and Debit cards of both Visa and MasterCard. This can be done in two different ways:
- Subscribed updates on Tokenization Service: After you have integrated the usage of the Worldline Tokenization Service, it will become possible to subscribe to the Account Updater. The Account Updater will regularly look for tokens that require updates based on predefined criteria and send update requests to the card schemes after which we update the tokens where necessary without any additional actions required by you.
- Encrypted Batch File with transaction Details: If you are not using our Tokenization Service you can choose to make use of our Batch File solution. This solution requires you to capture the card details on your end and submit the details you like to be updated in a encrypted Batch File. We will then include these transactions in the request to the schemes. Once the response has been provided you will receive the updated records, including the reason for change and you can use these details to update your own records.
- Choose between a fully automated process and a process where you have full control
- No dependency on your customers to keep card data up-to-date
- Increase conversion rates.
- On active tokens on your account in our system, our Payment Engine will monitor for card numbers that are about to expire and will include these in the Account Updater Request to our Account Updater Provider.
- The Account Updater Provider will submit the transaction details to the Card Schemes.
- The Card Schemes will provide the updated account details including the reason for change and deliver the response file.
- The Account Updater Provider will provide us with the updated information in a response file and we will update the records in our system with the updated information. The updated details will be used for processing any new transactions until another update is made to the token.
Type of Updates
The following table shows the different types of update and the Action that we recommend to take for each specific type:
|Type of Update||Comment||Action|
|New card number||It is possible to receive both the new card number and new card expiry date in the same update.||Continue processing payment using the same token which is updated with new card information.|
|New card expiry date|
|New card scheme||It is possible for a card to switch from one scheme to another when the issuer transfers their BIN across schemes. However it is not possible for affected cards to switch from debit to credit or vice versa.||Continue processing payment using the same token which is updated with new card information.|
|Account closure||It is possible for cardholder is close account due to various reasons.||Stop processing payment with the deactivated token, and contact the cardholder for more information before attempting to re-bill.|